Saturday, June 6, 2009

Time Management

In my ideal world, I wouldn't work. But we have debt. I work to pay that debt. If we had no debt besides the standard monthly utility type bills and house payment, I would be home. So, I buy Set for Life scratch and wins and hope for the best. I would take the lump sum payment of $675K, by the way. I know that the $1000/wk for 25 years works out to be more money, but the lump sum would zero out everything, still leaving money for brand new vehicles for both of us, a nice vacation, and a good sized nest egg, so I never have to return to the working world, unless I get "bored". So far, that's not panning out though. Super 7 was a bust last night too. I owe, I owe, so it's off to work, I go.

Bored. That term is laughable. The chore might be boring, but I'm never lacking for things to do. Ever. I had a woman (girl, really) ask me if I got bored on mat leave. I laughed. Long and hard. She then admitted, that as a single, childless woman in her early 20's, she has no concept of what's required or needed of your time. Let's see - cooking, cleaning, laundry, budgeting, errands, shopping, weeding through clothes that are grown out of or worn out for the entire family, meal planning, yard work, playing with your kids, spending time with your husband so your marriage survives it all, the list is endless.

Shopping sounds fun. It's not though. Not so much anymore. Gone are the leisurely strolls through the mall, with lunch and stops at Starbucks. It's very goal focused now. It's get in, get what you need, and get out. And the mall, apparently only contains Children's Place, Old Navy, Sears, Zellers, the food court if we're getting whiny, and that's about it. I don't remember the last time I went in stores like RW&Co, Aldo, etc. Hell, I don't even remember the last time I fit in RW&Co. Nice work clothes are from Reitman's and I don't even go to the one in the mall for that. The one by Safeway has better sale prices/more clearance stuff. Shopping has become more about food, household needs, and clothes and shoes for a rapidly growing boy. Superstore is the only store I visit with any regularity anymore.

I digress, though. I could go on forever about shopping. And one day I probably will. Time. There's isn't enough. This is my *down* time today. I have groceries to finish putting away. A pantry to reorganize. Pasta and potato salad to make. Laundry to start. Plants to get in the ground before they die in their little cell pots. The dishwasher needs empying and reloading because last night's dinner dishes are still sitting on the counter. I have a huge list of things to do before Monday, so we can start a new week, ready to go with clothes clean for all, towels for drying off with, and meals to eat. If those three things are ready for the week, the rest is gravy.

One day I'll be a stay at home mom. I won't spend 11 hours away from home, 5 days a week. I don't know when that is, but it's going to happen. Please God, let it happen. I'm exhausted.

No comments: